How to lose weight on vacation
Most women are afraid of gaining weight while on vacation. On the one hand, you want to relax, forgetting about dietary restrictions, and on the other hand, the prospect of breaking the regime and losing control instills real fear. Work, proper nutrition, regular physical activity and sleep patterns create a certain rhythm of life that you do not want to disturb, especially if it gives a result visible in the mirror. You don't have to look for the nearest gym or do a manic calorie count. Vacation can be used differently to improve the result.
Relief of stress, edema, cortisol production
High stress levels increase the production of the hormone cortisol. By binding to the hormone aldosterone, it disrupts the water-salt balance, which causes swelling. Therefore, a break from the daily routine is necessary for every person. The famous nutritionist Lyle MacDonald in his articles talked about his clients who managed not only to gain weight, but to lose weight on vacation (calorizer). This is because they were distracted from problems, took a break from training, ceased to focus too much on nutritional control - their cortisol levels decreased and swelling passed. You can also do this by taking a break from your diet during the vacation.
Taking a break doesn't mean that you can now check how much junk food can fit in your stomach. Taking a break requires moderation and a mindful approach to eating. If you eat when you are hungry, and not for company or out of boredom, learn to feel the signals of satiety and start choosing predominantly healthy foods, weight gain is not threatened.
Travel Preparation: Food and Fitness
Difficulties in controlling nutrition for most people begin already during the trip. Proper preparation for vacation solves some of the problems and helps to avoid temptations.
Take on the road:
- Complex carbohydrates - ready-to-eat and non-perishable, like homemade muesli bars, crispbreads, homemade granola.
- Fats are nuts that are best placed in portioned bags in advance so as not to eat more than necessary.
- Protein or Protein Bars - A good source of non-perishable protein on long trips.
- Balanced lunch in a plastic container - If you have a long trip, take a meal for your next meal. For example, when leaving after breakfast, prepare a complex carbohydrate lunch, a serving of lean meats and vegetables.
- Fruits and vegetables - perfect for a snack on the go.
Grab TRX loops or a rubber band if you plan on exercising. In order not to take the scales and measuring spoon for rest, in determining the size of the portion, be guided by the size of your own hand. A serving of protein is a palm without fingers, carbohydrates are a handful, vegetables are a closed fist, and a serving of fat is the size of a thumb. Eating for each meal an equal portion of the palm of your hand of protein, equal to a fist portion of vegetables and a small handful of complex carbohydrates, it will be easier to control hunger and not get overwhelmed by sweets.
Features of healthy vacation
To make your vacation less stressful, it is important to choose the right boarding house. When booking rooms, ask the administrator about the following aspects of your stay:
- Meals - how many times food is served, what is usually prepared and whether it is possible to order the menu. This last point is especially important for people with diabetes or food allergies.
- Household appliances in the room - refrigerator, electric kettle and microwave are required if you are going to cook.
- Grocery stores - You should be able to buy healthy foods.
- Active rest - the more opportunities for active rest, the better.
If you are going to exercise, then find out if the boarding house has a gym. If not, you can work with your own body weight.
Tips for not gaining weight on vacation
These tips will help you avoid weight gain while on vacation:
- Be active - walk, swim, explore the area, go on excursions, play outdoor games.
- Exercise - While on vacation, you can train with your own bodyweight, run in the morning, and do interval swims in the water where you are swimming at maximum speed for 30 seconds and active rest for 60 seconds. Do 5-10 intervals in one session.
- Eat in moderation and mindfulness - there is nothing wrong with a serving of dessert, but the third serving of the day will certainly be overkill. Set yourself a food limit so that you don't get overwhelmed by food temptations.
- Remember, the main ingredients of your plate are protein and vegetables. They help maintain long-term satiety.
- Don't eat bread, don't use butter, and don't consume high-calorie drinks - these are extra calories that are not good for your body.
- Keep fresh fruits and vegetables in your room for a balanced snack if you get hungry.
- Drink water - water gives strength and helps control appetite.
Vacation is a great opportunity to test how well you trust yourself and understand your body, what positive eating habits you have developed, and whether you will be able to maintain the result in the future without a strict diet and exercise framework (calorizator). Above all, try to take your mind off problems and over-control to lower your stress and cortisol levels. The vacation is over, you will return home and rush into the regime with renewed vigor.
Author: Ekaterina G., nutritionist, fitness blogger (specially for Calorizator.ru)
Copying of this article in whole or in part is prohibited.