Table of contents:
Video: How To Lose Weight With Hypothyroidism?
How to lose weight with hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism is a decrease in the production of thyroid hormones - thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) and thyroxine (T4). Dysfunctions of its functions often cause excess weight, since the thyroid gland is responsible for metabolic processes throughout the body. Including the speed of burning calories. When hormone levels are lowered, energy expenditure slows down. Hypothyroidism can be a serious obstacle on the way to being slim, but proper treatment and properly organized nutrition will help overcome it.
How hypothyroidism and other thyroid diseases develop
The precursors of hypothyroidism are various types of thyroiditis, radioactive irradiation of the thyroid gland, excess iodine in the body, lack of iodine in the diet and various thyroid abnormalities.
Iodine is needed for the production of thyroid hormones. Consumption below 80 mcg / day creates a dangerous situation for the organ. The optimal amount of iodine for adults is about 150 mcg / day. This amount is easily absorbed by a balanced diet. 100 grams of seaweed without additives contains 150-300 mcg of iodine, in hake meat 160 mcg, pollock 150 mcg, cod 135 mcg. Eating iodized salt also helps to cover the daily requirement for a trace element (calorifier). If iodine is not supplied enough, an endemic goiter develops - another unpleasant disease of the thyroid gland. High doses of iodine are dangerous for a long time and also cause hypothyroidism.
Some foods block the delivery of iodine to cells. These include turnips, rutabagas, red cabbage and cauliflower, turnips, mustard, tapioca, and dairy products from cows who ate the above foods. Abuse of them leads to thyroid dysfunction.
Rigid, low-calorie diets hit the thyroid gland, causing it to produce less hormones, which also becomes fertile ground for the development of diseases and a decrease in metabolism.
How to check your thyroid gland and metabolic rate?
Only a doctor can make a diagnosis, as the symptoms of various thyroid disorders are very similar. Among them are chronic fatigue, muscle weakness, swelling, low body temperature and heart rate, excess weight, constipation, dry skin and hair loss. Sometimes thyroid dysfunctions are accompanied by the development of iron deficiency anemia and menstrual irregularities. Only an endocrinologist can diagnose hypothyroidism. To do this, you will need to do an ultrasound scan and donate blood for hormones T3, T4, TSH.
Depending on the disease, the doctor prescribes the intake of iodine-containing or hormone-containing drugs. In hypothyroidism, synthetic T4 and T3 are often prescribed to normalize hormone levels. You should not be afraid, because it is the violation of their balance that interferes with losing weight. The dosage of the drug can only be determined by an endocrinologist based on your examinations. You cannot prescribe medication to yourself, even if you suspect you have a thyroid disease, which, in your opinion, interferes with losing weight. You run the risk of further disrupting the balance of hormones and causing irreparable harm to health. The drug and dosage are selected only by the doctor individually for each patient.
If you suspect you have a decrease in metabolism and hypothyroidism, you are overweight, your thermometer shows a low temperature, you suffer from constipation and experience other symptoms described above, contact your endocrinologist. Similar symptoms can be experienced with various violations of the organ. An accurate diagnosis and proper treatment will restore good health, stop weight gain and help reduce it.
Features of nutrition for weight loss in hypothyroidism
Not only weight loss depends on proper nutrition, but also the effectiveness of treatment, since some foods can affect the absorption of iodine and the absorption of drugs for the treatment of hypothyroidism.
Foods to limit for hypothyroidism:
- Goitrogenic foods that increase the thyroid gland. These are cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, millet, broccoli, turnips, rutabagas, turnips, soybeans, some fruits and other products. These foods can be in the diet, but only cooked. Heat treatment reduces their toxic properties.
- Simple carbohydrates, because in people with thyroid dysfunction, every calorie counts and the presence of sweets, sugar, honey or a lot of fruit can make it difficult to lose weight.
- White flour bakery and pasta, white rice. These foods, similar to simple carbohydrates, prevent weight loss and contribute to constipation. Better to replace them with dietary crisps, bran bread, durum wheat pasta, brown or brown rice, which have been less processed and are rich in fiber.
- Refined vegetable oil should be avoided as it suppresses thyroid function. In case of organ diseases, the amount of fat must be strictly controlled - at the level of 25% of the daily calorie intake.
The calorie content of the diet must be reduced by 10-20% due to fats and simple carbohydrates. The diet itself should be based on a high intake of protein and fiber.
Nutrition rules for losing weight with hypothyroidism:
- Thirty percent of your diet should come from lean and moderate protein sources. Fatty protein should be excluded.
- The daily rate of fiber is 25-40 g. This amount is enough to provide saturation and normalize intestinal peristalsis. Increase fiber gradually to avoid bloating and flatulence.
- A protein breakfast along with fiber will provide long-term satiety and will also nourish your muscles. It is in the morning and after training that muscles are well receptive to protein. Such a breakfast will have a positive effect on metabolism and well-being.
- Aim to get about 30 grams of protein with each main meal and eat a serving of vegetables to help you stick to your diet.
- Adequate amount of water will help solve the problem with puffiness and get a visible weight loss result faster.
Certain foods and vitamins interfere with the absorption of medicines, so it is recommended that you take your medicine in the morning. If you are taking hormonal medications to treat hypothyroidism, plan your meals in advance. You should not combine their intake with the use of foods rich in calcium and iron - at least four hours should pass. You should also refrain from coffee - at least an hour should pass between taking medications and coffee.
Sports for diseases of the thyroid gland is a prerequisite for losing weight. Strength training helps build muscle tissue, thereby stimulating metabolism, while cardio training increases endurance and helps burn more calories (calorizator). Any physical activity will be beneficial. If you haven't exercised before, start with a few minutes of daily morning exercise to build your exercise habit.
Author: Ekaterina G., nutritionist, fitness blogger (specially for Calorizator.ru)
Copying of this article in whole or in part is prohibited.
Weight loss with calculation
Popular by topic
All of us, even those who desperately do not admit it, believe in miracles. Until the last moment, we do not lose hope for a miracle. And since recently diets have been discussed more often than news in the world, we will also refer this article to the discussion of one of the methods of losing weight
So quickly gained over the holidays, vacations or during the "seizing" of stressful situations, extra pounds oh, how difficult it is to part with our body. Reasonable diet, sports and walking - everyone knows how to lose weight and stay at optimal weight. In theory. But in practice, a million excuses and obstacles await all good endeavors
In an attempt to lose weight, people often try to limit their food intake. Including, they greatly reduce the calorie content of their daily diet, sometimes bringing it to 500-600 kcal. But such drastic measures lead to disappointment, and in some cases even dangerous to health
There are a lot of nutrition systems and diets today. Far fewer among them are really safe for health, balanced and effective. One of these systems, developed in Russia and gaining particular popularity among connoisseurs of a healthy lifestyle, is Prana Food. Find out more about it
In the fight for the relief and beauty of a toned and slender body, professional athletes and amateur athletes often use additional stimulants. Let's talk about the duet of longtime acquaintances - caffeine and L-carnitine