Table of contents:
Causes of edema and how to remove excess water
Swelling is a concern for many people. Often they are even confused with excess fat and try to remove water by diets, fasting days and exercise. This approach not only does not work, but also exacerbates the problem. Let's look at the causes of fluid retention and how to eliminate it.
What is puffiness?
In medicine, edema refers to the excess accumulation of fluid in the body. Our body is 70% water, of which 2/3 is inside the cells of the body. There is also water in the space between the cells - 1/3 of the total. When the amount of water in the intercellular space increases, edema appears.
Edema is common and local. The general can be seen from fluctuations in weight. For example, in the morning you have one weight, and in the evening you become two kilograms heavier (calorizer). Local is associated with specific diseases such as angioedema, edema in diseases of the veins of the legs or lymphatic vessels.
The most common cause of edema
There are many reasons for fluid retention. We will consider them below, and now we will highlight the main one - a violation of water-salt metabolism. Water-salt metabolism is the intake and excretion of water and mineral salts from the body. Excessive or inadequate intake of water, excessive or insufficient intake of salt cause edema.
Excessive water consumption is extremely rare. On average, a healthy person needs to drink 1.5-2 liters of water per day. Most people don't drink as much, substituting sweet tea, coffee, and other drinks for water. However, water and drinks are not the same thing. They act on the cells of the body in different ways. Excess water becomes when the function of the excretory system is impaired by acute or chronic kidney disease.
Salty foods retain water in the body, so it is recommended to exclude salinity from a healthy diet. Lack of salt also causes fluid retention. If there is little salt inside the cell, then the water will not linger in it and will come out into the intercellular space, forming edema.
Signs of impaired water-salt metabolism:
- Fluctuations in weight during the day within 1-2 kg;
- Large body volumes with low weight;
- Sagging skin;
- Skin marks from bedding or clothing.
To establish water-salt metabolism, it is necessary to drink enough water and consume enough salt - do not give up and do not overdo it. If you drink the same amount of water every day and consume enough salt, then in 2-3 months the quality of your body will improve markedly.
Other causes of edema
Not only disturbances in water-salt metabolism cause fluid retention. It often accompanies cardiovascular diseases, hormonal disorders, diabetes mellitus, diseases of the kidneys and lymphatic vessels, chronic stress, and a sedentary lifestyle.
Fluid retention occurs at high and low pressures. To remove fluid from the body, it is necessary to normalize the pressure.
- Disorders in the work of thyroid hormones and sex hormones always accompany edema. To get rid of them, it is necessary to normalize the lost hormone levels.
- Diabetes mellitus and the abuse of carbohydrate foods raise blood sugar levels, which affects the work of internal organs, including the work of the excretory system. There are nutritional requirements for diabetics, but if you are not sick, make sure not to overeat carbohydrates. Avoid simple carbohydrates and control your intake of complex ones. In a month you will see how your body will change.
- Kidney disease disrupts the functioning of the excretory system. To get rid of excess water, the disease must be cured.
- Violation of lymph flow always causes stagnation of water, and it is provoked by various inflammatory diseases, therefore, treat diseases and excess fluid will go away.
- Chronic stress causes cortisol to rise, and cortisol retains fluid in the body. Control your stress level - swelling will go away.
- With low physical activity, the work of a number of body systems is disrupted, which can also cause fluid stagnation.
Rules for getting rid of edema
First, you need to change the diet and normalize the drinking regime. All cells of the body are made of protein, it must be eaten in sufficient quantities. Fats are needed for the hormonal system, so even during active weight loss, fats cannot be reduced too much. Carbohydrates should be eaten in moderation, keeping the intake of sugar and sugar-containing foods to a minimum, including honey, dried fruits, and fruits.
The body needs water to function properly. Drink the same amount of water daily. Control your salt intake - salt your food, but refuse salinity (salted fish, homemade pickles, cheese, sausages, snacks).
Move more - start exercising and increase non-training activity. High mobility improves blood circulation, helps to reduce weight and avoid tissue congestion.
Get tested and treat chronic conditions. Don't expect an exacerbation and remember that prevention is the best treatment.
Most people are looking for quick methods of getting rid of swelling. But everything fast gives a short-term result and does not eliminate the cause. All of the above recommendations require time, regular implementation, and sometimes material costs for examination and treatment (calorizator). But unlike massage, fasting days, saunas and water procedures, they eliminate the cause. You just have to maintain the result and be attentive to your health.
Author: Ekaterina G., nutritionist, fitness blogger (specially for Calorizator.ru)
Copying of this article in whole or in part is prohibited.